12/05/2010

I passed the buck...

... or did the buck pass me? It's all a matter of perspective, I guess. In any case, this buck and I passed by each other in the woods yesterday, and I managed to squeeze off a few frames before he moved on. Here's one of them:


Click to magnify.

Photo tip: With their impressive antlers, white-tailed bucks evoke regality. To keep them looking regal, I often change my perspective by getting on my knees and shooting them from below their eye level. This gives the effect of looking up at them, much as you would a king on a throne.

Disney artists used much the same technique when drawing images of Bambi's father. For example:



Because in art, as in life, perspective is everything. :-)
 

4 comments:

Malte Mundt said...

Beautiful picture! Thanks for sharing this experience.

Paul N. Leroux said...

Thanks Malte!

- Paul

Ben said...

I read an old BP of yours about image stabilized macro lenses. I've got a Nikon D700 and am on the hunt for a terrific macro lens to fit my insatiable lens lust. The CoolPix 4500 still has one of the most amazing macro capabilities IMHO, which I still have. BTW, I don't see the image in this post of yours. It just says click here to enlarge; but it's not functional.

Paul N. Leroux said...

Ben, have you considered the Nikon VR 105mm macro? I've heard very good things about it. I've also read that the Tamron 60mm macro is crazy sharp (no VR, though).

If you've got a P&S like the 4500 with good macro capabilities, don't let go of it. Newer P&Ss don't always have better macro.

A bigger version of the image appears when I click on it, so I'm not sure what's happening; could be a browser thing.